Cardiovascular System – 10 Interesting Heart Facts
Prevent Cardiovascular Diseases:
Cardiovascular Diseases are the leading cause of death in the United States! This may be shocking to many people but there are many tips you can use to help Prevent Cardiovascular Diseases. I hold a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree and have been working as a pharmacist for 5 years now. I would say that the cardiovascular system is one of the most important concepts of healthy human beings. The heart is an amazingly efficient organ only if you take the proper steps to learn how to take care of it.
Here I will briefly explain the flow of blood throughout your body and how the heart pumps your blood so efficiently. The whole system that carries nutrients and blood throughout your body is the cardiovascular system but can also be referred to collectively as your circulatory system. Take note of the diagram I’ve inserted. Towards are the top of the diagram are a pair of lungs, in the middle is a heart, and on the bottom is a picture of a person which represents all of the blood vessels throughout your body.
All of the 75 trillion cells throughout your body must have oxygen and nutrients to survive and stay healthy. All of those cells also produce waste, like carbon dioxide, that has to be carried out and removed from your body. Your immune system cells must circulate through your body to fight infections and other harmful bacteria. Your cardiovascular system is responsible for all of these tasks.
Ten Interesting Heart Facts
1. The adult heart beats roughly 72 times a minute, 104,000 times a day, 3,800,000 times per year and 2.8 billion times over a 75 year life span.
2. Blood takes roughly 20 seconds to circulate throughout the entire body.
3. The heart pumps blood through 55,000 miles of blood vessels each day.
4. A kitchen faucet would have to be turned on full power for 45 years to equal the amount of blood that is pumped throughout a lifetime.
5. The heart begins to beat 4 weeks after conception and does not stop over your lifetime.
6. Veins carry deoxygenated blood whereas arteries carry oxygenated blood.
7. The heart beats because of electrical impulses that send electrical waves to your heart cells telling them to contract.
8. Your heart has 4 separate chambers, 2 atrium and 2 ventricles.
9. You can actually strengthen your myocardial (heart) muscle through conditioning and cardiovascular exercises.
10. Obesity Health Effects greatly damages your cardiovascular system and increases risk of disease.
Preventing Cardiovascular Diseases is a key to a long and healthy life. The key is to start with changing your lifestyle to become healthy through your diet and exercises.